Lynn D‘Orio: Resume
Download resume as PDF (D'OrioResume.pdf)
- CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS OF MICHIGAN, THOMAS M. COOLEY LAW SCHOOL, EAST LANSING, MICHIGAN, Trial Practice College, August 2005
- NATIONAL CRIMINAL DEFENSE COLLEGE, MERCER LAW SCHOOL, MACON, GEORGIA
Trial Practice Institute, July 2002
- WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL, DETROIT, MICHIGAN
Doctor of Laws, December 1992
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, NEW BRUNSWICK, NEW JERSEY
Bachelor of Arts, May 1980
Majors: Organic Chemistry and Secondary Education
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE, SELDEN, NEW YORK
Associate Degree, May 1978
Major: General Science, graduated with distinction
- SOLO PRACTITIONER, ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN
Lynn B. D'Orio, JD, PLC, Attorney, 1993 to present
My practice is almost exclusively in the areas of criminal defense (on the trial, appellate, and post-appellate levels) and juvenile justice (on the trial level) where I handle abuse and neglect as well as delinquency cases. I am admitted to practice in all Michigan state courts and the United States District Courts (Eastern and Western Districts) of Michigan.
- BAKER COLLEGE, FLINT, MICHIGAN
Adjunct Professor, March 2003 to June 2006
I taught Introduction to Corrections, Law and Corrections and Juvenile Corrections to students pursuing careers in corrections and law enforcement. I wrote the curriculum for the Law and Corrections class in January 2004. See: www.baker.edu/
- WASHTENAW COMMUNITY COLLEGE, ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN
Instructor, Department of Life Long Learning March 2000 to March 2004
I present seminars as part of the college's LiveWorkLearn! Program entitled "Law for Life"(an overview of the law people encounter every day, such as consumer law, real estate,criminal law, wills and estates); "Women and the Law" (a historical overview of laws thateffect women); "Don't be a Victim" (identity theft, how to avoid it and what to do if you area victim); and "Criminal Justice" (an overview of the criminal justice system and the rights of citizens and law enforcement).
- STATE APPELLATE DEFENDER OFFICE, DETROIT, MICHIGAN
Law Clerk, January 1992 to February 1993
I researched and wrote appellate briefs for indigent criminal defendants.
- MICHIGAN PROTECTION AND ADVOCACY, DETROIT, MICHIGAN
Law Clerk, June 1990 to September 1992
I researched and wrote briefs on civil rights issues for the developmentally disabled. Iinterviewed lay and expert witnesses.
- PFIZER INC., CHEMICAL DIVISION, HOFFMAN ESTATES, ILLINOIS
Territory Manager, July 1980 to September 1989.
I managed 22 distributor sales representatives. I created and executed marketingstrategies and sales presentations. I also held the following positions: Associate SalesRepresentative and Sales Representative. I was responsible for over $5.4 million dollars in sales.
MICHIGAN STATE BAR
Admitted May 1993, P-48042.
I am a member of the Criminal Law and Children's Law Sections.
CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS OF MICHIGAN
Board of Directors, 2003 to present. Education committee, 2002 to present, member, 1993 to present.
As a member of CDAM, I work to promote expertise in the area of criminal law, constitutional law and procedure and to improve trial, administrative and appellate advocacy. As a member of the education committee, I helped establish CDAM's first annual Trial Techniques Training College held in conjunction with Thomas Cooley Law School. Since 2008, I am one of the faculty trainers at the College. See: www.cdamonline.org.
PROFESSIONAL ADVISORY BOARD, COALITION FOR A USEFUL REGISTRY
January 2008 to present.
I provide advice to the Coalition in order to improve the Sex Offender Registry. The goal is to insure that only truly dangerous sex offenders are listed, thus giving the public a true sense of security.
WASHTENAW COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION
Member 1993 to present.
I am currently a member of the Juvenile Law and Criminal Defense sections. 2009-2010: Co-Chair of the Juvenile Law section.
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK
Field Instructor, (various years) 1997 to 2003.
I worked with social work students within my law practice, managed their projects, provided instruction and direction on the law as it applied to areas of social work, and provided performance evaluations to the School of Social Work.
EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY LEGAL ASSISTANT STUDIES PROGRAM
Sponsoring attorney for interns 2002 to 2003
I worked with paralegal students within my law practice, provided instruction and direction on the law, and provided performance evaluations to the Legal Assistant Studies Program.
MICHIGAN WOMEN'S JUSTICE AND CLEMENCY PROJECT
(Formerly, Battered Women's Clemency Project)
Co-coordinator, 1994 to present. Member since 1990.
The Clemency Project seeks freedom for women who fought back against their abusers and were convicted because little or no evidence of domestic violence was presented at their trials. To date, three women have been freed. See: www.umich.edu/~clemency/.
NATIONAL TRIAL COMPETITION
Judge at the Regional Rounds of the 30th National Trial Competition hosted by The Thomas M. Cooley Law School, February 2005.
NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD
Ann Arbor Chapter, President from 1996 to 1999. Member 1994 to present.
WOMEN'S LAWYER'S ASSOCIATION OF MICHIGAN
Member, 1993 to present.
I have participated in the Mentor program with University of Michigan women law students from 1998 to present.
WASHTENAW RAINBOW ACTION PROJECT
1996 to Present. Positions held: Vice President, Board Member, Advisory Committee member, and legal counsel.
ANN ARBOR HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
Appointed by Mayor as Commissioner to serve from November 1999 through October 2002 Vice-Chair, 2000 to October 2002, Chair of Police Community Relations Committee, 1999 to October 2002.
YOUNG LAWYERS ASSOCIATION
Washtenaw County Chapter, Secretary, 1997 to 1998; Treasurer, 1996 to 1997. Member May 1993 to May 1998.
- "Sex Offender Registration is Not the Answer for Juvenile Sex Offenders with or without Disabilities", L. D'Orio JD, S. Rogers LMSW, P. Kernsmith PhD & R. Kernsmith PhD, Michigan Child Welfare Law Journal, Vol. XII, Issue II, Winter 2009. See: http://www.michbar.org/childrens/journal.cfm
- "Battered Women, Homicide Convictions and Sentencing: The Case for Clemency", Jacobsen, C.; Mizga, K.; D'Orio, L. Hastings Women's Law Journal, University of California, Hastings College of the L, Winter 2007, Volume 18, Number 1.aw, O'Brien Center for Scholarly Publications
- "Survivors of Domestic Violence Not Given Equal Protection in Oakland County", Right To Counsel, Spring 2003.
- Clemency for Battered Women in Michigan: A Manual for Attorneys, Law Students and Social Workers, edited by Lynn B. D'Orio and Lore A. Rogers, published by the ACLU Michigan Battered Women's Clemency Project, October 1998. See: www.sado.org/clemency.htm for manual without appendix.
- "Attorney General Investigation of Defense Counsel's Knowledge of Inmate Client's Assets", Criminal Defense Newsletter, vol. 19, no. 3, Dec. 1995.
- "False Allegations of Child Sex Abuse: A Case in Point", Res Ipsa Loquitur, vol. 27, no. 6 January 1995 (reprinted with permission).
- "False Allegations of Child Sex Abuse: A Case in Point", Criminal Defense Newsletter, vol. 18, no. 1, Oct. 1994.
- "What To Do When the Charge Is Criminal Sexual Conduct and the Complainant is HIV Positive?", Michigan Bar Journal, vol. 72, no. 9, Sept. 1993.
- Juvenile Justice Workshop, Michigan Public Defense Task Force Annual Conference: "Reforming Michigan's Public Defense System: The Economic, Social and Human Benefits," May 21, 2009, Lansing, Michigan.
- Advanced Training in Juvenile Law, Washtenaw County Bar Association, Juvenile Law Section, April 30, 2009, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- "Juvenile Delinquency Proceedings", Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan Conferences, March 12, 2009, Novi, Michigan; November 13, 2008, Traverse City, Michigan; March 13, 2008, Novi, Michigan; and November 1, 2007, Traverse City, Michigan.
- "The Ins and Outs of Requests for Clemency", panelist, State Appellate Defender Office, November 5, 2008, Detroit, Michigan.
- "Seeking Alternatives to Incarceration and Clemency for Battered Women", panelist, 2007 National NOW Conference and Young Feminist Leadership Institute, July 13, 2007, Detroit, Michigan.
- "Giving Voice to Women Prisoners: Clemency", panelist, 11th Annual Exhibition of Art by Michigan Prisoners, University of Michigan Prison Creative Arts Project, March 23, 2006, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- "A Practical Seminar on Application and Practice in Washtenaw County Juvenile Court: Nuts and Bolts and a Walk Through of a Delinquency Case", co-presenter at Juvenile Law Section of Washtenaw County Bar Association, February 12, 2004 and March 13, 2008.
- "Youth Legal Round Table: Know Your Rights", co-presenter at Washtenaw Rainbow Action Project, January 31, 2003, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- "Practicing Law and Activism: Keeping Your Perspective", presented at the University of Michigan School of Law, November 7, 2002.
- "The Fight for Clemency for Battered Women Who Defend Themselves", co-presenter, Michigan Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence 20th Annual State Wide Conference, June 17, 1998, Midland, Michigan.
- "Misogyny, Sexism and Homophobia: A Diversity Training" co-presenter / trainer, March 25, 1998, Central United Methodist Church, Detroit, Michigan; March 3 & 5, 1998, Ann Arbor City Hall, Ann Arbor, Michigan; and October 21, 1997, Washtenaw County Bar Association Race-Gender Bias Awareness Week, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- "Considering the Duress Defense When the Defendant is the Victim of Spouse or Child Abuse; Should There Be an Exception to the No-Homicide Rule?", Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, Annual Meeting, March 16-20, 1993, Kansas City, Missouri.
- "Rape Shield Laws and Their Effects on the Criminal Justice System", National Women's Studies Association 15th Anniversary Conference, June 19-23, 1992, Austin, Texas.
- Extraordinary Achievement Award, Domestic Violence Project, Inc., SAFE House, for pro bono representation of battered women charged with criminal offenses, presented October 27, 1999.
- Washtenaw Rainbow Action Project's Spectrum Award, for drafting the City of Ypsilanti's Non-discrimination Ordinance, presented June 12, 1999.
- American Association of University Women, Research and Projects Grant recipient, 1989-1990, to assist recipients in educational and professional advancement.